Too much beats
Shitkatapult released a new collection of minimal ambient recording of its boss - Marco Haas alias T. Raumschmiere - "Random Noize Session - Vol. 1". We talked to him about this side of his musical activity.
- Why are you decided to release the album with radical ambient tracks?
- It`s a collection of recordings/outtakes from the last 8 years. It`s not new songs. It`s old songs. It`s not even songs. It`s something I always wanted to do but I never had the discipline to keep it low on a complete album....
- What did look like a creation process of that music?
- It was recorded in random locations and on random occasions. Sometimes sober, sometimes wasted. Sometimes digital. But mostly analogue. The last track was recorded live in a church in Dusseldorf. The second track was recorded on holiday.
- What kind of energy do you find in minimal electronic?
- It gives me inner peace.
- Do you find any parallels between your techno-punk and ambient music?
- What is more exciting for you: making a techno-punk track or minimal ambient track?
- Well, it is both very exiting. But touring with my band and doing the techno-punk thing will of course stay my main focus! Since "Random Noize Session - Vol.2" will take at least another 8 years I have to make a living from something...
- Your previous ambient album - "Anti" - had more beats. Why did you reduce rhythmic side of your new music this time?
- I still think it has too much beats on it. "Vol.2" will have less beats.
- Where did you look for inspiration to create such atmospheric music?
- The inspiration came mostly from the various machinery I was using. But of course also from moods, feelings, personal situations, a beautiful woman, humor, liquids, horse races, religion, carparks, the news, that one sign in my street and shit like that.
- Some tracks from "Random Noize Session - Vol. 1" have strong soundtrack nature. Did you have any "visions" during creation of that music, which you wanted to illustrate with sounds?
- Sometimes I had visions, yes, but I think they were most based on drugs and alcohol and gone the next day.
- Have you ever recorded any music under influence of drugs?
- Eh, no.
- A lot of ambient composers goes into more pop-oriented music at the moment. Why did you go more into opposite direction - into industrial sounds?
- Because I wanted to do musick for musick and for musick lovers! And not for a ballless-soulless-spiritless-mtv-generation-marketing-monsters that only look at dollars and lifestyle. I will do that with my next band album, ha!
- Are live performances of ambient music interesting for you?
- Yes. But I don't do them that often. It has to be a special surrounding. With seats or sofas and a very good sound-system. In a theatre or a cinema or a planetarium or an aquarium or a church... It has to be very loud!
AUTHOR: PAWEL GZYL
PHOTO: ANDRES MARROQUIN
+ Zombie Nation - Black Toys
+ Geoff White - Neverthless
+ Vintage Future
+ Mathias Kaden & Onur Oezer - Momentum - A Vakant Mix Compilation
+ John Tejada - Cleaning Sounds Is A Filthy Business
+ Marcin Czubala/Dandi & Ugo - Split
+ Spika - Sonic Journey Through New Life
+ Sebastian San - Duel
+ Salut Rec 2006
+ Rule - Controller
+ To Rococo Rot - Taken From Vinyl
+ T.Raumschmiere - Random Noize Session - Vol. 1
+ Pop Ambient 2007
+ Music To Play In The Club - Vol. 1
+ Move D - Kunstoff
+ Max Mohr - Trickmixer's Revenge
+ Luomo - Paper Tigers
+ Heiko Laux - Waves
+ Kiki - Trust Me
+ Jet - Shine On
+ Idea Hoard Uncut
+ Husky - Zgadnij
+ Robert Henke - Layering Buddha
+ Thomas Heckmann - Tangents
+ Gigolo Showcase No. 10
+ P.Diddy - Press Play
+ Freestyle Candies 2
+ Camouflage - Relocated
+ Bolz Bolz - Data Error
+ F.S. Blumm - Drawings
+ Belka & Strelka - Tales From The Projector Room
+ Peter Brotzmann/Hamid Drake - The Dried Rat-Dog / Billy Bang/Denis Charles - Bangception. Willisau 1982 / Matthew Shipp Duo with Roscoe Mitchell - 2-Z / Max Roach/Anthony Braxton - One In Two, Two In One
+ Tree People - Tree People
+ Merzbow - Sha Mo 3000 / Merzbow/Jamie Saft - Merzdub
+ Gary Higgins - Red Hash
+ Nick Castro - A Spy in the House of God
+ Sabine Vogel - Aus dem Fotoalbum eines Pinguins
+ Ferran Fages/Will Guthrie - Cinabri
+ Howlin' Ghost Proletarians - The Singer
- - - - - - - - -
+ JANEK SCHAEFER - In The Last Hour
+ IMMUNE - Sound Inside
+ ELLIOTT SHARP - Sharp? Monk? Sharp! Monk!
+ ALEXANDER TUCKER - Furrowed Brow
+ sunnO))) & BORIS - Altar
+ NEW LOUSADZAK - Human Songs
+ VARIOUS ARTISTS - Beyond Istanbul - Underground Grooves of Turkey / VARIOUS ARTISTS - Shtetl Super Stars - Funky Jewish Sounds From Around The World
+ GILBERT HOLMSTROM - A Celebration of 50 Years in Jazz
+ BARZIN - My Life In Rooms
+ ASTROPHAGUS - Casualties
+ THE BAD HAND - This is No Time for Modesty
+ MAGDA - She's a Dancing Machine / DOCTOR QUIRKEY'S GOODTIME EMPORIUM BAND - A 6 / VITAMINSFORYOU - The Legend of Bird's Hill / CHARLES GAYLE - Consider The LiliesâŚ / DAN JOSEPH ENSEMBLE - Archaea / JOHN MEDESKI, MATTHEW SHIPP - Scotty Hard's Radical Reconstructive Surgery / WORKING FOR A NUCLEAR FREE CITY - Working for a Nuclear Free City / FLORIAN WEBER / JEFF DENSON / ZIV RAVITZ - Minsarah / LOWER FORTY-EIGHT - Apertures / HOLIDAY FOR STRINGS - Holiday For Strings / WARNE MARSH QUARTET - Ne Plus Ultra / CALL ME POUPEE - Western Shanghai / HUMCRUSH - Hornswoggle / SHRIEKBACK - Cormorant / HASEGAWA-SHIZUO - Gene Packs / ABASSI ALL STARS - Showcase / RICCARDO TESI - CLAUDIO CARBONI - Crinali
+ HERESI - Psalm II / KHLYST - Chaos is my Name
+ JOE SACHSE - Riff / JOE SACHSE / DAVID MOSS / GEORGE LEWIS - Berlin Tango
+ OLIVER LAKE QUARTET - Live / TRIO 3 - Time Being
+ TOM DJLL - Bellerophone - Smudge - Mutootator
+ BROADCAST - The Future Crayon
+ HISATO HIGUCHI - Dialogue
+ FOREST JACKSON - Cymbalism
- - - - - - - - -
WYWIADY / RELACJE
+ Avant Festival - relacja z festiwalu w gdańskim Żaku (29-30.10.2006)
+ Soulful groove music - rozmowa ze Splankiem (Zombie Nation)
+ Too much beats - rozmowa z Marco Haas'em alias T. Raumschmiere
+ Lawina dźwięków - wywiad z Bartoszem Słatyńskim, Tomaszem Gołuchowskim i Michałem Gołuchowskim (Avalanche)