The debut album from supertrio Bulgur Brothers - "Smoothie Man" - is a big sensation on micro house scene. We talked to one of the creators of this record - swedish producer Mikael Stavostrand.
- Why did you decide to cooperate with Andreas Tilliander and Johan Skugge as Bulgur Brothers?
- We been speaking about it for years, since we are all good friends from Stockholm. Then we just met in the studio one day and started to work. First output later became "Jaffa" EP on Karat this year. Since we don't meet up so often, only a few times a year, our output is not so big yet.
- Have you got any special sound idea for this project before you went to studio or all ideas came during your work?
- Not really, just to see what happens when we are all three together, I mean we all have our different sound and put together it gets a something unique.
- What did a cooperation between you look like?
- Basically we meet up whenever we have the possibility all together. Then we do a couple of jam sessions, which I record on seperated channels, then I do the editing and the arranging at my studio in Berlin.
- "Smoothie Man" has strong hipnotic and trance vibe - where is this idea from?
- Ha, ha .. if you say so .. no idea it just became like that.
- How did you create a 20-miutes long click house odyssey - "I Want To Live Forever"?
- This piece is an excerpt from a live gig at 103 Club in Berlin, the idea was to have the whole set on the CD, but the computer recording crashed after 22 min, so...
- You cooperate with many artist - what is interesting for you in this way of creation?
- First it is funny, cause I work alone so much so it is nice to do something together with other people for a change.
Second, for me I learn a lot by doing collaboration, testeing ideas I would not use for myself.
- Which cooperation was the most creative in your opinion?
- Hmm... maybe Bulgur Brothers, cause we have no limitations. We just go with the flow.
- You started musical activity in Archon Satani - dark ambient industrial project with straight satanic message. Were you seriously involved in that time in satanic cult?
- Hmm... I don't know if we had such a message... at least. I never had and I have never been into any cult or anything like it.
- Why did you surprisingly change a direction of your music?
- I don't see it coming as a surprise, if you listen to my whole output you will see how it developed all the time to where it is now.
- Why did you decide to run two different own labels - Mitek and Sunset Discos?
- Because Mitek is focused on more listening music and Sunset Diskos is for the clubs.
- Some of Mitek and Sunset Discos releases are financial supported by swedish ministry of culture. How is it possible?
- Well, you can apply for suport...
- Why did you moved to Berlin?
- Because I like the city. Mainly tough cause I was not comfortable anymore living in Stockholm, it is a small city and far away from the center of Europe. Also there is no scene there so I wanted to move closer to where my work field is.
Is this city has any influence on your music?
- Hmm .. no idea, maybe? I mean maybe not the city but of course you are influenced by all the artists living or playing here.
- When can we expect a new solo album from you? What it will be?
- No idea. We will see about that. I have no plans right now, but if the opportunity shows up so...
Autor: Pawel Gzyl
+ Z'EV - Metaphonics
+ Brush - Brush!?
+ Ariesta Birawa Group - Ariesta Birawa vol. 1
+ Zipps - Be Stoned! Dig The Zipps
+ Satya Sai Maitreya Kali - Apache/Inca
+ Charlemagne Palestine / Tony Conrad - An Aural Symbiotic Mystery
+ Toshinori Kondo - Fukyo
+ Max Richter - Songs from Before
+ Esmerine - Aurora
+ Jean-Luc Guionnet/Pascal Battus - Parmakli
+ Bill Horist - :Projects
+ Łukasz Ciszak - auxin
+ Tomasz Bednarczyk - Summer Feelings
+ volcano! - Beautiful Seizure
+ TR 21 - Deceased City
+ Transforma & O.S.T. - Synken
+ Reynold - La Cite d'en Haut
+ Radical Face - Ghost
+ Patrick Pulsinger - Dogmatic Sequences 1994 - 2006
+ Phelan Sheppard - Harps Old Master
+ Oblong - Indicator
+ Milenasong - Seven Sisters
+ Kapitan DA - Kapitan DA
+ Hug - Heroes
+ Housemeister - Roadmovie
+ A Hawk & A Hacksaw - The Way The Wind Blows
+ The Go Find - Stars On The Wall
+ Gescom - MiniDisc
+ Damero - Happy In Grey
+ Console - Pan Or Ama
+ Classic Cuts: Knight Action - Single Girl / Los Angeles T.F. - Magical Body / Mike Dunn - So Let It Be House / Dopplereffekt - Gesamkunstwerk
+ Christ. - Blue Shift Emissions
+ Blue Raincoat - Everything Is A Piece Of Something
+ Bloodysnowman - Bloodysnowman
+ American Gigolo III - Mixed & Compiled By Princess Superstar
+ 7 Up! - Singles Only 1978 - 1982
- - - - - - - - -
+ loudQUIETloud - A Film about The Pixies DVD
+ BRENT FARISS / BILL THOMPSON - August - September
+ TOM RECCHION - Sweetly doing nothing
+ STEN SANDELL TRIO - Oval
+ MAGIC CARPATHIANS & LECHISTAN'S ELECTRIC CHAIR - Mirrors
+ WALTER & SABRINA - Chioma SuperNormal - The Dark Album
+ POSITIVE KNOWLEDGE - First Ones / JOEL FUTTERMAN / ALVIN FIELDER / IKE LEVIN - Live at the Blue Monk
+ ANTHONY BURR / OSCAR NORIEGA / CHRIS SPEED - The Clarinets
+ JESSE ZUBOT - Dementia
+ CHRISTIAN WEBER - 3 Suits & A Violin - Osaka Solo
+ HERIBERT FRIEDL - Back_Forward / BERNARD GUNTER / HERIBERT FRIEDL - Trans~
+ HORKESKART - Live in Solitude / CINC - Polyphonic Poetry
+ BOB MARSH / THERESA WONG / BRYAN EUBANKS - Luggage
+ JOHN BUTCHER / PAAL NILSSEN-LOVE - Concentric / RODRIGO AMADO / KENT KESSLER / PAAL NILSSEN-LOVE - Teatro
+ NORBERT MOSLANG / GUNTER MULLER - Wild_Suzuki / NORBERT MOSLANG - Burst_Log / MASAHIKO OKURA / GUNTER MULLER / AMI YOSHIDA - Tanker
+ VARIOUS ARTISTS / ANDREA CENTAZZO - Fire
+ RM74 - Fireproof in 8 Parts / RM74 / RLW - Pirouetten / HERPES Ö DELUXE - Kielholen
+ ÖLVIS - Bravado
+ TETSU INOUE - World Receiver / BEAUTUMN - Northing / RUDY ADRIAN - MoonWater / MARKUS REUTER - Trepanation
+ DRAKKAR SAUNA - Jabraham Lincoln
+ FLUORESCENT GREY - Lying on the Floor Mingling With God in a Tijuana Motel Room Next Door to a Veterinary Supply Store
+ HOLGER CZUKAY - Radio Wave Surfer - Good Morning Story
+ DO MAKE SAY THINK - You, You're a History in Rust
+ CLAUDIO PARODI - Horizontal Mover (homage to Alvin Lucier)
+ VARIOUS ARTISTS - Women of the World: Acoustic - A New Groove - One World, Many Cultures
+ BAD BRAINS - Live at CBGB 1982 - CD/DVD
+ JOHANNES BAUER / THOMAS LEHN / JON ROSE - Futch / STEVE LACY - Live at Jazzwerstatt Peitz
+ VOLCANO THE BEAR - Egg and Two Books
+ IRENE SCHWEIZER / FRED ANDERSON / HAMID DRAKE - Willisau & Taktlos
+ KOTRA AND ZAVOLOKA - Wag the Swing
+ CLINIC - Visitations
+ KUSH ARORA - Underwater Jihad
+ A WITNESS - I am John's Pancreas / PURE SOUND - Yukon
+ MONTA - The Brilliant Masses
+ SHELLEY BURGON / TREVOR DUNN - Baltimore
+ SATANICPORNOCULTSHOP - ..Aiff Skull EP
+ FRANCOIS HOULE - Aerials
+ KAZUMASA HASHIMOTO - Gllia / YASUSHI YOSHIDA - Secret Figure / MIDORI HIRANO - LushRush
- - - - - - - - -
WYWIADY / RELACJE
+ Laibach - relacja z koncertu w Palladium, Warszawa 10.12.2006
+ Singing is communication - wywiad z Marit Posch alias Damero
+ Something unique - wywiad z Mikael'em Stavostrandem (Bulgur Brothers)